Monday, March 26, 2007

JLM

Okay...I know from personal experience that most young women's worst fear is turning into their mother. I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, but not always wanted. Who wants hear the words "Don't make me pull this car over!" or even worse "Because I said so." come out of their mouths. There are so many fine qualities a mother can pass on to her daughter, if only we could choose the ones we want.
I only say this because it has become a running joke in our family to be caught JLM (Just Like MOM). Like when I wash my hands after putting on my makeup and then pat my face with my slightly damp hands, or when my older sister points at cars while she's driving to make them stay, or when my younger sister sits at night watching TV while she's cross stitching or knitting (okay, I admit I've started knitting too).
At what point did these things start happening? I don't remember when I started evolving into my mother, but I hope I don't make leap to "Oh, you're just like your mother!" I surely don't want to take over her identity. I think there is hope. Although my mom has started wearing mu mu's around the house like her mother, she has drawn the line at letting her hair grow into a white 'BoBo the clown fro' (her words not mine).
As much as I have tried to grow into my own strong woman, I find so many of my mom traits have followed me. I am gradually getting better at cooking and sewing. I've planted a few flowers and even pulled weeds on my own. I hope I do continue to pick up my mom's idiosyncrasies, but not when my sisters can point it out. Of course, this does provide many hours of laughing at Mom and each other.
Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this. I don't want to feel alone in my transformation. It's better to make fun of other people together, not just myself by my self.

No comments: